Computer Training Program
Our computer instruction focuses on the common business applications. Our training is intensive and individualized, with a goal of student driven success. Donka believes that strengthened personal confidence combined with marketable computer skills yields a more productive person.
Our curriculum prepares students for work. Students learn while working through realistic business scenarios. They work at their own pace and ability level. Frustrations are reduced as there is always an instructor nearby. The instructor to student ratio is 1 to 2.
Students learn through a variety of instructional formats. We use an easy to follow textbook with CD ROM tutorials for review. Besides following textbook instruction, students are given independent projects. Students work on these projects with step by step assistance from the textbook. These exercises reinforce learning while helping students identify performance gaps.
Students are tested as instruction for each computer program is completed. After completing the Donka training program, students will be able to:
- Operate and manage computer equipment and assistive devices.
- Use Windows to run programs, manage files, toggle between programs, and get help
- Write letters, create reports, copy and delete files, produce form letters, mail merge lists and labels
- Create a database, add data, search for information, create forms, create labels and merge mail lists
- Demonstrate an understanding of spreadsheets, set up a variety of spreadsheets utilizing functions of the program
- Use Internet Explorer to conduct research in specific areas of interest.
Use Microsoft Outlook to send and receive e-mail
Cost of Services
Every student who is a DuPage County resident is served free of charge. Students from Kane County must have a fee for service contract with the Office of Rehabilitation Services (ORS).
We estimate the total cost for training and operation of the computer lab to average approximately $5000 per student. We encourage our students, family members and their friends to support Donka by contributing to our program to keep it cost free for those who need it.