Donka students come from every town in DuPage and eastern Kane Counties and their ages range from those just completing high school to senior citizens. They start Donka’s program at different computer skill levels but they all have one thing in common: a powerful desire to learn and reach their personal goals.
Minimum standards for admission into Donka’s computer training program include:
- Average or above average cognitive ability.
- Reading (vocabulary and comprehension), spelling and math achievement of at least 6th grade.
- A disability which compromises the probability of success within a regular classroom.
- An interest in learning various computer applications with the goal of improving occupational and/or educational opportunities.
- Adequate emotional and mental health for participating in a busy classroom setting where success depends on self-discipline and personal initiative. The atmosphere is similar to that of a working office filled with people talking and moving about.
- Adequate physical health for participating in 1 ½ hours of sustained classroom instruction.
- Blind students must have basic keyboard knowledge.
Candidates for admission to Donka will meet with an instructor for a personal in-take interview to identify goals and skill level:
- Donka may request further candidate information which includes appropriate personal records; i.e., school, medical, psychological.
- After a 3-week evaluation, a determination will be made for assistive technology needs for class work activities and special computer input needs.
- Up to three weeks of demonstration training as needed for difficult to assess conditions; i.e. long term memory, concept integration, study skills.
Assessment/Assistive Technology Evaluation Report
FOR A FEE, Donka will provide a written report of assessment results if requested. In addition to test and interview results, we would include a summary of special equipment requirements (hardware, software and/or positioning apparatus) as well as an expected level of computer mastery and possible employment areas.
Would you or someone you know like to become a student at Donka? If so, please send us an e-mail with your contact information.